Sunday, October 22, 2006

Cross Crusade #2 - 10/15/06

The weather was perfect for cross on the 2nd Cross Crusade event. Plenty of rain to slicken up the playing field. No-more sunny summer stroll in the park. It was time to get wet, muddy, and exhausted.

I placed myself to earn a free six-pack of Mac's in the first race (landed on the lucky number 7 with 17th), so I was geared up to perform. Unfortunately, my bike handling skills on the new steed were alittle lacking in prowness. By the 3rd or 4th crash around a muddy slick corner, I realized that a conservative appoarch in the muddy corners would save me time.

Denise and Luke showed up part way through the race. They captured a few photos of the effort shown below.

Some lessons learned....
  1. It takes a lot longer time to crash and recover than to take it slower in the muddy corners/gravel.
  2. I guess it's a good thing when the doc gives you alittle something and says "normally I tell people to suck it up and don't worry about it, but your's is really looking infected". Guess I better shave my legs after all.
  3. The free beer prize sure tastes good later that day.


31st out of ~105 folks in the rookie class. I'll take it.

Putting down the hammer

Negotiating the "six-pack" barriers

Muddy with a big grin

Luke is wondering "what is dad doing?"

2 comments:

SteveK said...

Good job on the Blog, Paul. Denise said she really enjoyed watching the Cyclecross race. The pictures were good and the ones from Luke's birthday were good too. Keep up the good work.

SteveK said...

I didn't see a place on the Formiller family blog to make comments. Was there one?