Saturday, April 28, 2007

Commuting to Work

There is finally a break in the rains in Portland area. Therefore, it's time for us fair weather bike commuters to start hit the streets.

My commute from Wilsonville to Beaverton is 19 miles and takes about 1hr-20min each way. There's a great gym at work to take a shower, so I pack my gear on car days.

Some key benefits...
1) Great way to get miles on the bike. I shoot for 2 times per week, so that's ~80 miles of riding.
2) Save gas. However, it's not the economics - I don't pack a lunch when I ride, so the money I save each day (~$6.50) is spent on buying lunch.
3) Great way to lose weight by burning extra calories.
4) Doesn't cut into family time. Got to go to work anyway!!!

Give it a try. Once you do it a couple times, you resolve all the excuses.

1 comment:

SteveK said...

Hey Paul, sorry to hear about your accident, but glad there were no broken bones. I spent several weeks in therapy after breaking my wrist, and the cute therapist brought tears to my eyes almost every session. I rode my bike to work twice this week and took the long way home to get in a few more miles. I have a new back wheel as the old one was out of round, breaking spokes and the breaking surface was very warn. We enjoyed Luke time whilee you were in Ashland.