Thursday, November 23, 2006

Big Time Cross in Portland - 11/19/06

The "big dogs" came to Portland for the USGP series final race. The race was out at Hillsboro stadium and the weather was PERFECT for a cross race (rain and ALOT of mud).

I was recovering from a cold I had all week, so no racing for me. However, I couldn't miss a chance to see the big boys and girls ride. My cross buddies Neal and Evan did brave the elements and survived the slug through the mud.

It was amazing how much better these national guys/gals were. They opened up some serious gaps between them and the top riders from Oregon.

Chris Horner (raced in the Tour de France, lives in Bend OR, rides Specialized like me - however, a nicer bike) was there. I actually got to chat with him after he pulled up next to me as I was watching at the start line. He made a point that he was just doing this for "fun". How cool is that!!! Here he is slugging in the mud.




Barry Wicks is a fellow that grew up in Corvallis and is now racing the national mountain bike and cross scene. I chatted with him while he was warming up on the trainer about Cornvalley. I think he likes the sunny weather in CA now ("big time" must be going to his head). His teammate, Ryan Trebon, and him are called the twin towers because they are about 6'-5" and skinny as a rail. They also kicked butt (Ryan won the series).

Here's a article in Velonews about the race (note the hot tub photo - only in PDX - way cool): VeloNews

Way cool awards party afterwards. Congrats to my buddy Evan who placed with the A crew.

Until next September - cheers to CrossCrusade.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

paul, what a cool sport. I knew you were biking, but this is pretty extreme! Maybe next year I will accompany Denise and Luke out in the rain and mud to cheer you on and experience the thrill. Glad you guys had a good thanksgiving, see you tomorrow. GO BEAVS!!! joni